Enterprises have been producing large amounts of data from a myriad of data sources along with a wide variety of data that includes Structured, semi structured, quasi structured and unstructured data. Most of the data being generated in todays modern digital economy is contributed to unstructured data like Images, audio clips, videos, sensor data, social media data, logs, click stream data and so on.
The data that is being generated is so voluminous and different from the traditional transaction based relational database systems, organizations have started to look at technologies like Hadoop which can manage huge data sets and help create an Enterprise data lake that can store and capture all data irrespective of its format and source.
Now comes the most challenging and important task of how to make meaningful insights of such voluminous, velocity, variety and veracity of data. Several Business Intelligence tools have come into existence to derive actionable insights from Big Data and provide an easy to use self-service analytics platform to organization users.
While most of the tools have a way to analyse the data but when it comes to visualization there seem to be different drawbacks from tool to tool and we researched quite a bit to figure out the most versatile and user friendly visualization tool that fits most business needs. Here is our synopsis of the tool’s comparison with Tableau along with the outcome.
Tableau and Micro Strategy
The comparison of Tableau and Micro Strategy purely from a visualization perspective gave us some interesting outcomes as follows
- The graphical representations developed from the reports are not directly usable for analysis purposes within Micro Strategy and needs to be formatted. Also, the infographics is hard to understand and does not indicate trends on their own. Unlike this, Tableau delivers visual interpretations from supplied data with extreme speed and without the need of any formatting the default views present data in a usable format. Apart from this, customized views are just a few clicks away in Tableau
- There is now availability of a BI Connector for Tableau users to easily connect with Micro Strategy reports or cubes and provide data visualizations using Tableau.
Tableau and Power BI
Tableau and Power BI pretty much provide similar features from analysis and visualization perspective and both have been featured on the Gartner magic quadrant as leaders. Here is the outcome of our study:
- Tableau works with the principle that your ultimate end goal is not creating visually compelling dashboards but have a better understanding of your data. Also, Tableau helps you to dig deeper into an outlier or iterate on your discovery without disrupting the flow of analysis
- With a wide range of built-in analytic capabilities Tableau ensures that users can easily handle creating calculations, designing visualizations and formatting dashboards. Also, Tableau does not enforce any limitation with respect to number of data points in a visualization or enforce row or size limitations. On the contrary, Power BI has limitations with respect to handling calculations, designing visualizations and about the number of data points that can be used in a visualization
Tableau and QlikView
Tableau and QlikView are similar in terms of what they offer as BI Tools, and both are quite strong from a Visualization perspective. Here are some excerpts from our study
- The interface of Tableau is very simple and easy to use for a user compared to QlikView along with the drag and drop feature which enables users to create their own views using various objects
- Tableau offers very good visualization especially when map visualizations need to be built as it has an inbuilt extension to perform map visualizations.
While there are countless business intelligence tools out there the comparison study has been limited to Micro Strategy, Power BI and QlikView as these three BI tools are figuring out in the Leaders and challenger quadrants of Gartner.
At Standav, we have extensively used Tableau for designing and delivering compelling dashboards to our global customers especially in the Telecom, Energy and Healthcare domains which involved crunching huge amount of data and providing meaningful insights. To know more about our Business Intelligence and Analytics practice, visit https://www.standav.com/services/driving-digital/big-data-analytics/#data-visualization